Powered by Blogger.

August 12, 2009

BEST CHICKEN BIRYANI IN THE WORLD!...WITH PICTORIAL

chicken biryani1.JPG


This is my mother's very famous recipe which she makes only on special occassions but till date she has not given the recipe to anyone, so when I went to see her recently and to tie "rakhi" to my brother she called me to her side and said -"I will not be around for very long but I want to share my special recipe with you and your blog readers so that it lives on forever", I was so touched I had tears in my eyes....Here I am sharing it with you all as per her wishes, along with very detailed step-by-step pictures taken as she made it, do let me know if you make it too so that I can tell her and I AM SURE SHE WOULD BE VERY HAPPY TO KNOW....Ingredients required for making this(serves 10)-



  • Fresh chicken- 2 (approx 700gms each), cut into 8 pcs each

  • Finest basmati you can find- 3 steel glass full OR about 4 and a half cups

  • Onions (sliced)- 7 medium

  • Ginger- 1/2 cup chopped

  • Garlic-1/2 cup chopped

  • Almonds- soaked and peeled, a handful

  • Raisins and cashews- handful

  • Mint- 1 cup chopped

  • Juice of 1 large lemon

  • Saffron -a pinch soaked in milk

  • Pure desi ghee-1/2 cup

  • Garam masala- 3-4 tbsp (freshly ground)

  • Bay leaves-2

  • Butter-50 gms

  • Aniseed powder(saunf)-1 tsp

  • Green chillies- 2 sliced

  • Salt and pepper to taste


onion,ginger and garlic.JPG


Chopped onions, ginger and garlic.


washing basmati rice.JPG


Wash basmati and soak at least 1 hour before.


making stock.JPG


Make the stock-In a pressure cooker take the lesser desired parts of the chicken like neck and all, add a handful of onions alongwith a tbsp each of ginger and garlic as well as some garam masala and bay leaves and give 5-6 whistles, strain and keep stock aside.


frying chicken.JPG


Fry rest of the chicken in desi ghee, till golden brown,drain and keep aside.


frying onions.JPG


In the same ghee fry the onions ,ginger and garlic till golden, drain and keep aside.


nuts and raisins.JPG


Now fry the nuts and raisins in this ghee.


soaking saffron.JPG


Soak saffron in milk.


stock and spices.JPG


Take a heavy bottom pot like the one shown above,OR you can use whatever you have at hand. Bring the stock to a boil, add 2 tbsp garam masala to it, then the drained rice, add salt .Let rice cook covered till almost done.


adding chicken and onions to boiled rice.JPG


Add chicken and onion, ginger garlic fried , dot with butter/ghee.


adding mint.JPG


Add chopped mint, dry fruit and saffron.


squeeze a lemon.JPG


Squeeze lemon juice,add rest of garam masala and saunf powder, adjust seasoning , you can add finely sliced green chillies too.Combine everything well very, very gently so as not to break the rice.


seal pot with dough.JPG


Seal top of pot with some dough, put on "dum" (put in moderate oven or on slow heat for 10-15 minutes).


chicken biryani2.JPG


Though it does take time and effort to make a good biryani, I hope this pictorial will be helpful for first timers as well as for the seasoned cook.The biryani has a FULL-BODIED flavor and is essentially Muslim style biryani, we enjoyed ours with some pomegranate yogurt and a glass of wine.I am really happy to finally have the recipe and that too with such clarity so that my mother's legacy is passed down to future generations and the taste that was in her hand can be revived and remembered for years to come.


Thank you mamma for sharing this precious recipe with us...

Print Friendly and PDF
Bookmark this post :
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

32 comments :

Cilantro August 13, 2009 at 3:44 AM  

Great recipe,Thank your Mom for passing on the recipe. Lovely presentation.

Unknown August 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

First class!! Am so hungry seeing your biryani now. Great step by step pics.

Ria Mathew August 13, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

It's my first time here!Thanks for passing on the yummy recipe! :)

Shah cooks August 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM  

lovely set of photos.. kudos to u for showing it so nicely.

Aruna August 14, 2009 at 2:08 AM  

Bindiya, Thanks to your MOM & Yourself for bringing ur family Biryani recipe.

Please kindly do post the recipe for GARAM MASALA used here, that will be a HUGE help, bcoz diff garammasalas tastes differet and I wish to know what ur MOM used. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Aruna

Priya Suresh August 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

Makes me hungry...drooling rite now here!

Unknown August 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

OMG!! The biryani looks delicious! Must have been a real emotional moment, making this!!

? November 5, 2009 at 11:33 PM  

Liked your posts on Kashmir and Kashmiri Cuisine!

Soma Pradhan June 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

A Big Thank You to your Mommy for sharing her secret recipe with us all. My hubby likes my biryani which I hv learnt after almost 100 + trials.. This weekend i am going to try aunty's style...I am sure..This is going be a ROCKING Recipe.. A big thank you to u too to take the pictures in so much detail..One questions..Should I cook the rice in the stock after removing the garam masala and not so good chicken pieces(that is just the water ) or simple add rice to the stock as it is...I explored ur blog once again today and hv book marked so many kashmiri recipes...

Soma Pradhan June 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Hey Sorry.. I just ur blog again..It sas strain and keep aside...I cannot wait to prepare it this weekend...

Unknown May 31, 2011 at 12:41 AM  

hie dear i loved you recipe but i wanted to know wat in saunf?..and how do i do it dum!1..like in wat should i cover it!!..pls let me know i m gonna giv mom n dad surprise making this for them pls help me out!!..

Anonymous ,  June 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

Hi Bindiya!! Can you pls tel us the recipe of garam masala used in this recipe? Thanks a lot for this recipe..

Bindiya June 16, 2011 at 10:29 PM  

@Aruna please watchout will be post.ing recipe of my moms garam masala soon!
@Pooja saunf is simply fennel seeds, available everywhere, you can give dum to the biryani by covering with a heavy lid

Anonymous ,  September 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

I'm touched.Vivid description with graphics made it easy for a house-husband as yours truly. Have tried making biryani once will attempt mama's recipie next.God bless your mom and self.

Charley29 September 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

Nice recipe, this is really yummy. There is nothing to argue about. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. thank you for sharing this recipe..

kanwal September 23, 2011 at 6:34 PM  

hello,
why truncate the plates while displaying pictures of the dishes.

choose appropriate background of the plate to make it alive.

seasoning like pieces of tomato/carrot/coriader leaves can make the dishes displayed more appetizing.

thanks for sharing the receipes


kanwal

dreaminginflowers ,  October 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM  

Made this for dinner tonight, it was delicious! thank you so much for sharing this secret recipe with us.

I had to improvise a little, because I don't have all the ingredients but your mouthwatering pictures really makes me want to have it for dinner! So inspired by your family heirloom recipe and very helpful pictorial that really makes me understand how to make real good biryani, this is how I attempted to make it in 1 hour :)

I rubbed chicken drumsticks with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and powdered garam masala. Didn't have ghee, so I added sour cream to the chicken and roast it in an oven bag, while I prepare the biryani.

I use 2 cups of long grain rice, didn't have basmati unfortunately, wash it and put it with liquid chicken stock, pieces of onion, garlic, bayleaf, garam masala, ginger, salt, a bit of turmeric (didn't have saffron either), mix it well and dot it with butter (didn't have ghee)and cook it in the rice cooker until its done.

Meanwhile I fry one large red onion sliced thinly, chopped garlic and ginger, and some sultanas as per your recipe.I leave the nuts out, because my daughter doesn't eat them. And chopped some ginger mint that I have growing. Once the rice is cooked, I take all the herbs out (onion, garlic, bayleaf, ginger) and gently fold through the caramelized onion,garlic, ginger, sultanas,chopped mint and squeeze some lemon juice. I then put the lid back on and let all the lovely flavor blend in together with gentle heat in the rice cooker. I then serve the biryani with the chicken and cucumber salad.

It's not an authentic way that perhaps you and your mum intended the recipe to be, but I'm very pleased with the result and grateful for your generousity for sharing this gorgeous recipe that I feel I just have to share with you how this recipe inspires me, thank you so much. Next time I have a dinner party I will attempt your mum's heirloom recipe in all its authenticity (except for the dum, and that pot, which looks gorgeus by the way, love it)and see how it goes.

Thanks again for sharing, much appreciated

dreaminginflowers ,  October 22, 2011 at 5:21 PM  

Made this for dinner tonight, it was delicious! thank you so much for sharing this secret recipe with us.

I had to improvise a little, because I don't have all the ingredients but your mouthwatering pictures really makes me want to have it for dinner! So inspired by your family heirloom recipe and very helpful pictorial that really makes me understand how to make real good biryani, this is how I attempted to make it in 1 hour :)

I rubbed chicken drumsticks with salt, pepper, garlic, ginger and powdered garam masala. Didn't have ghee, so I added sour cream to the chicken and roast it in an oven bag, while I prepare the biryani.

I use 2 cups of long grain rice, didn't have basmati unfortunately, wash it and put it with liquid chicken stock, pieces of onion, garlic, bayleaf, garam masala, ginger, salt, a bit of turmeric (didn't have saffron either), mix it well and dot it with butter (didn't have ghee)and cook it in the rice cooker until its done.

Meanwhile I fry one large red onion sliced thinly, chopped garlic and ginger, and some sultanas as per your recipe.I leave the nuts out, because my daughter doesn't eat them. And chopped some ginger mint that I have growing. Once the rice is cooked, I take all the herbs out (onion, garlic, bayleaf, ginger) and gently fold through the caramelized onion,garlic, ginger, sultanas,chopped mint and squeeze some lemon juice. I then put the lid back on and let all the lovely flavor blend in together with gentle heat in the rice cooker. I then serve the biryani with the chicken and cucumber salad.

It's not an authentic way that perhaps you and your mum intended the recipe to be, but I'm very pleased with the result and grateful for your generousity for sharing this gorgeous recipe that I feel I just have to share with you how this recipe inspires me, thank you so much. Next time I have a dinner party I will attempt your mum's heirloom recipe in all its authenticity (except for the dum, and that pot, which looks gorgeus by the way, love it)and see how it goes.

Thanks again for sharing, much appreciated

Anonymous ,  December 3, 2011 at 6:12 AM  

Hi

When you write dough (before dum), what kind of dough? can you use something else between the pot and the lid and then put it on low heat?

Lovely blog you have and yum recipes:)

Anonymous ,  December 3, 2011 at 6:12 AM  

Hi

When you write dough (before dum), what kind of dough? can you use something else between the pot and the lid and then put it on low heat?

Lovely blog you have and yum recipes:)

Bindhya ,  February 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM  

Hai Bindiya,
Thanks to your mom for giving us such a wonderful recipe. But i got one doubt how much water we should add to cook rice and chicken together.usually i cook separately and make layer.give warm regards to your mom.
Bindhya.

Anna May 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM  

Very authentic Biriyani recipe. A big "Thank You" and my regards to your mom, and thanks Bindiya for sharing it with us..Tried and tested, came out very well !

Vipin ,  June 1, 2012 at 11:25 PM  

Hi Bindiya!

How Fat is your Husband ? lol!

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom July 12, 2012 at 4:45 AM  

Hello. Can you tell me what "5-6 whistles" means? Thank you! wholenewmom at gmail dot com.

Erin July 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM  

Hey!

I live in Houston, Texas, and am going to the store NOW to buy the ingredients to make this delicious-sounding recipe! I have looked for weeks for a "real" biriyani recipe - huge thanks to you and your mom for sharing!

-Erin

Erin July 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM  

Hey!

I live in Houston, Texas, and am going to the store NOW to buy the ingredients to make this yummy-sounding dish! I have searched for weeks to find a "real" biriyani recipe - HUGE thanks to your mom and you for sharing!

-Erin

DiraBimo September 12, 2012 at 4:45 AM  

How much water do you use to make the stock? I imagine this would be crucial to make sure the rice doesn't turn up mushy or too dry.

Biryani King July 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM  

Thanks for sharing your mom's special recipe on your blog. I was touched by your article - May your mom enjoy a long healthy life !

Unknown April 8, 2014 at 1:53 AM  

Nice recipe, this is really yummy. There is nothing to argue about. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. thank you for sharing this recipe.
Shahid Khan From Karachi Pakistan

Unknown April 8, 2014 at 1:53 AM  

Nice recipe, this is really yummy. There is nothing to argue about. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it. thank you for sharing this recipe.
Shahid Khan From Karachi Pakistan

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Back to TOP   

} catch(err) {}